[Youth-announce] DiscNW Spring/Summer Youth Announcements

Wynne Scherf wynne.scherf at discnw.org
Wed May 27 14:23:57 PDT 2009

 Hello, Youth Ultimate Enthusiasts!

The spring school season is over, and, judging by the multitude of emails
I've received asking about playing opportunities, many youth players are
having disc withdrawal.  Here are some ways for your kids to get their
frisbee fix this spring and summer.  Not only that, but check the list for
opportunities for adults to hone their coaching skills or support youth
ultimate.  Events are in order by date, with earliest events listed first:

*1.* *Spring MoHo--Wednesday, May 27 & Monday, June 1*
**
Here's the link to learn more & register:
http://www.discnw.org/events/MoHo.html

MoHo is a series of free practices for high school students, including
drills and srimmage, led by experienced Ultimate players in the Seattle
area.  ALL experience levels welcome!

Stay tuned to www.discnw.org for information on summer MoHo and Mini MoHo
(for middle school students)--coming soon!

**
*2. Seattle's Youth Club Championship (YCC) Tryouts--Wednesday, May 27
through Saturday, June 6*
**  Here's the link to learn more & register:
http://www.discnw.org/events/YCCTryouts.html

This is an opportunity for players to try out for Seattle's three elite
youth teams, which will represent the city at the Ultimate Players'
Association (UPA) YCC tournament in Minnesota in early August.
 <http://www.discnw.org/events/YCCTryouts.html>
**
**
*3. UpDawg--Saturday, May 30*

Here's the link to learn more & register:
http://www.discnw.org/events/updawg.html

A message from Leah Fury at the UW: "The University of Washington's women's
Ultimate Frisbee team, Washington Element, is hosting Up Dawg, a hat
tournament for middle school, beginning high school, and experienced
elementary age/level Ultimate players, at Magnuson Park as a fundraiser for
our team. A hat tournament is an event where individual players can sign up
independently and will get placed on a team with other middle schoolers for
a fun, full day of Ultimate. The advantages of playing in a hat tournament
include playing with and against other middle schoolers from all over the
city of all skill levels, and you don't have to be on a team to sign up!  Up
Dawg players will get to participate in four games of co-ed Ultimate, a Five
Ultimate jersey, delicious field food (including bagels provided by Noah's
Bagel's), a chance to meet and play with other middle school Ultimate
players and the opportunity to be coached by experienced college Ultimate
players. Registration is $25.  Email Leah with questions at
leah.fury at gmail.com. Hope to see you there!"

*4.  Silent Auction to Support Youth Ultimate--Sunday, May 31*
**
The 2009 DiscNW Annual Meeting will take place on Sunday, May 31 from 4:00
to 8:30pm in the Brig at Magnuson Park in conjunction with the adult Spring
Team League finals.

The meeting will include a silent auction to benefit Seattle youth ultimate.
Ultimate-related memorabilia and other goodies will be available for bidding
from 4:00 to 7:30 pm.  All proceeds will go to the Youth Development Fund:
http://www.discnw.org/about/youthDevelopmentFund.html  If you would like to
donate items or services for the auction, please contact Wynne Scherf at
youth.director at discnw.org.

In addition to the silent auction, here are some other highlights of the
annual meeting:
* Refreshments will be served
* Door prizes will be awarded: DiscNW event lost-and-found "grab bags,"
trucker hats, and more
* We'll celebrate the new synthetic turf fields with ultimate lines at
Magnuson!

**
*5.  Riot Women's Clinic--Saturday, June 13*
**
Here's the link to learn more and to register:
http://seattleriot.org/clinic.html

Seattle Riot will be hosting the 14th annual women's skills clinic from
9:30am - 3:30pm  at Magnuson Park in Seattle. The clinic is for girls and
women of all ages, experience, and skill levels. The cost, $35, includes a
full day of instruction, a yummy lunch, and a free disc.
**
**
*6.  DiscNW Summer Youth Ultimate Camps--June through August*
**
Here's a link to learn more & register:
http://www.discnw.org/events/SeattleUltimateCamp.html

There are day camps throughout the summer for players ages 10 through 18.
Our camp counselors are veteran coaches from top Seattle high- and middle-
school teams, and experienced college and elite club players from all over
the country.

*7. Ultimate Players' Association (UPA) Level II Coaching Certification
Workshop--July 11 & 12*
**
Here's a link to learn more & register: http://www.upa.org/coaches/coaching2

The Level II Coach Certification is 2 full days of instruction that focuses
on advanced coaching for Ultimate and is ideal for high school, college, and
club captains and coaches that are looking for new tools to help take their
leadership to the next level.

We are looking for a Local Coordinator for this course.  The Local
Coordinator gets to attend the clinic for free!  Please contact Wynne Scherf
at youth.director at discnw.org to volunteer.

*8.  Washington Games Disc Event--July 18 & 19*
**
Here's a link to learn more & register:
http://www.discnw.org/ale/clubevent.html?clubEventId=320

A message from Washington Games Commissioner Joe Bisignano: "Hi fellow
coaches,
This summer Wynne and I are running a youth ultimate tournament as part of
the Washington Games (http://www.washingtongames.org/site.php). The kids who
participated last year really had a great time. Because of the support of
the Washington Games organization, we are able to provide shirts, medals,
food, and coaches and run a top-rate tourney at a modest cost to kids. One
of the most exciting things about the tournament is the opportunity for kids
to play some single-gender ultimate. OK, here is my very strong bias. I have
been coaching here for a very long time. When high school first went single
gender there were 5 or 6 schools that had girls teams. Six years later, that
number hasn't changed. My guess is that all of you played games this year
where one or both teams could not field a 4:3 gender ratio for middle school
games. The bottom line is that many middle school teams still struggle to
get enough girls, and at the high school-level girls' ultimate is struggling
just to maintain numbers from the past. I am hoping that all of you will put
in a plug with your players to sign up for this tourney, but I am pleading
with you to encourage the girls to come out and play. If you have any
questions or if you want to help out with the tournament, just reply here.
Thanks!  --Joe Bisignano"

*9. Next Level Ultimate Camp--July 25-30*
**
A message from Organizer Skip Sewell: "This summer, elevate your game at the
first annual Next Level Ultimate Camp.  This 5 day, 5 night camp is
dedicated to providing High School players from around the country the
opportunity to meet and engage in high-level play with their peers in a
focused, motivating, and fun environment. Next Level Ultimate will educate
its campers in advanced fundamentals and techniques used by the most
successful college and club ultimate teams. Over the course of our five-day
session, our counselors and staff will work to give campers the confidence
and tools to improve not only themselves, but future teammates and friends.

Our Counselors:
Next Level counselors are some of the best leaders and players in the sport
of Ultimate, coming from programs such as Seattle's Sockeye, Boulder's
Johnny Bravo, Minnesota's SubZero,  They're amped to impart their knowledge
and experience onto campers through drills, discussion and play.

Want to know more?
Check us out at: http://www.nextlevelultimate.com Or drop us a line by email
or phone.

Best - Matt "Skip" Sewell
Organizer, Next Level Ultimate Camp
info at nextlevelultimate.com
512-589-5555 (cell)"
 <http://www.discnw.org/ale/clubevent.html?clubEventId=320>

Wow!  There's something for everyone.  : )  Let me know if you have
questions!  youth.director at discnw.org

--
Wynne Scherf
DiscNW

Sign up for Seattle Youth Ultimate Camps at
http://www.discnw.org/events/SeattleUltimateCamp.html