[Youth-announce] January Youth Ultimate News

Betsy Brown betsy.brown at discnw.org
Wed Jan 26 13:26:42 PST 2011

Hello Youth Ultimate Enthusiasts!

We've got six pieces of news for you:

1. MoHo and Mini MoHo in February
2. Green Games
3. Seattle Spring League (ES, MS, HS Coed and HS Single-Gender)
4. Tacoma High School Spring League
5. Spring Reign
6. Teams Needing Coaches

1. MOHO AND MINI MOHO IN FEBRUARY

MoHo and Mini MoHo are a series of *FREE* practices for high school and
middle school students respectively. They include drills and scrimmages, led
by experienced adult Ultimate players and coaches from the Seattle area. We
welcome players of all skill and experience levels. To learn more about the
history, philosophy and coaches of MoHo visit the* **MoHo pages** at:
http://www.discnw.org/youth/moho/index.html

*Participants are encouraged to pre-register, however players may register
at any time throughout the season and may attend as few or as many sessions
as they would like.

 Mini MoHo and MoHo will run simultaneously on the same fields each week at
the following times and locations:

--Sunday, February 6 from 4:30-7:30pm on Genesee Lower Soccer Field
--Sunday, February 13 from 1-4pm on Magnuson Park Field 6
--Sunday, February 20 from 4:30-7:30pm on Genesee Lower Soccer Field
--Sunday, February 27 from 1:30-4:30pm on Loyal Heights Field

To register for MoHo visit: http://www.discnw.org/events/MoHo.html

To register for Mini MoHo visit: http://www.discnw.org/events/minimoho.html

2. GREEN GAMES

DiscNW is proud to be hosting the 2nd Annual Green Games:
http://www.discnw.org/events/greengames.html

The Green Games will take place at Charles Wright Academy in Tacoma on
Sunday, March 13. We will schedule three games for each team, with one bye
during the day.

There are three divisions:

--Middle school girls
--Middle school boys
--High school open (novice/intermediate teams)--girls are encouraged to
participate in this open division, but there is no strict gender ratio

Though the tournament is designed for school-based teams, we recognize both
that it can be difficult for new or intermediate high school teams to put
together a full team for a tournament, and that pulling together a
single-gender middle school team can also be a challenge. For that reason,
there is some flexibility to the "one school" team rule for this tournament.
We are primarily interested in growing the sport in this new city and this
new division of play. Thus, teams made up of players from more than one
school will be permitted. That being said, to maintain the integrity of
competition, please limit the number of schools represented on one team (no
all-star teams, please).

**Registration ends February 20th.**

3. SEATTLE SPRING LEAGUE (ES, MS, HS COED AND HS SINGLE-GENDER)

***Registration is open for all Seattle Youth Spring Leagues!!***

Elementary School Coed Spring League
**Registration Closes February 13**
http://www.discnw.org/events/SpringElementary.html

Middle School Coed Spring League
**Registration Closes February 13**
http://www.discnw.org/events/SpringMS.html

High School Coed Spring League
**Registration Closes February 13**
http://www.discnw.org/events/SpringHSCoed.html

High School Single-Gender Spring League
**Registration for Varsity is CLOSED**
**Registration for JV closes 3/3**
http://www.discnw.org/events/SpringHSSingleGender.html

4. TACOMA HIGH SCHOOL SPRING LEAGUE

For the second year we're hosting a high school Ultimate league in Tacoma!
It is open to high school teams (grades 9-12), public or private.  All
players on a team should attend the same school (contact us for
exceptions).  Teams are encouraged to play at least a 6:1 boy:girl ratio as
much as possible, but this is not a strict rule or requirement.

Games will be on the following Saturdays:

--April 16
--April 23
--May 7
--May 14
--May 21

Times and fields are TBA--We will update the Tacoma HS page when
registration opens and as soon as we have the location pinned down.

For more information about Tacoma HS Spring League, visit the league page
at: http://www.discnw.org/events/TacomaSpringHS.html

5. SPRING REIGN

***Registration is open for Spring Reign (and closes March 31)!!***

Spring Reign is the largest youth ultimate tournament in the world! Spring
Reign is a coed tournament with divisions for elementary school, middle
school and high school teams. With teams from Washington, Oregon,
California, British Columbia, Manitoba, Alberta, and beyond, this tournament
will showcase some of the best competition in the Northwest!

Games will be played in Burlington, WA on April 30-May 1, 2011.

For more information and to register visit:
http://www.discnw.org/events/SpringReign.html

***We need volunteers to help with Spring Reign on the tournament days.***
If you'd like to help, please contact spring.reign at discnw.org and we'll be
forever grateful!

6. TEAMS NEED COACHES

There are currently three youth teams looking for coaches:

--Madrona Middle School in Edmonds (new team)
--Laurelhurst Elementary (first year team)
--Cleveland High School girls' team (new team, stipended position)

If you are interested in helping to develop a new youth Ultimate program,
contact Wynne Scherf at youth.director at discnw.org

Please contact me at betsy.brown at discnw.org if there is any more information
you may need!
--