[Youth-announce] Spring Youth Ultimate News

DiscNW Youth Director youth.director at discnw.org
Fri Apr 5 15:53:54 PDT 2013

Hello, Youth Ultimate Enthusiasts!

I have 8 pieces of news for you today:

1. Seattle Youth Ultimate Camps
2. Spring Reign Volunteering
3. Seattle Ultimate Foundation Youth College Scholarship
4. Youth Coaches and Field Marshals Needed
5. 2013 Youth Timeline
6. Seeking Members for New Youth Task Forces
7. April Person of the Month
8. April 13-14 Observer Clinic

1. SEATTLE YOUTH ULTIMATE CAMPS
Registration is now open for Seattle Youth Ultimate Camps.  Camps take
place on June 17-21, June 24-28, and August 19-23, with divisions for ages
8-9, 10-11, 12-13, and high school.  Campers enrolled in all three sessions
can receive a $125 discount for the summer.  To register, visit
http://www.discnw.org/events/SeattleUltimateCamps.html

For questions about the camps, or if you are interested in coaching, email
seattle.ultimate.camps at discnw.org

2. SPRING REIGN VOLUNTEERING
The world's largest coed youth ultimate tournament is seeking volunteers!
The tournament is April 27-28, and we have volunteer opportunities on
Thursday through Sunday.  Any person age 11 or older may volunteer.  In
particular, we encourage adult, college, and high school teams who are not
attending the tournament to sign up as a group.  We ask that volunteers
commit at least four hours to dedicated help, though tournament
participants (parents, coaches, players, etc.) who are interested in
helping with set-up or clean-up can volunteer less time.  Sign up by April
7 to guarantee a volunteer jersey!  For more details about the timing,
responsibilities, and benefits, and to register, visit
http://www.discnw.org/events/SpringReignVolunteers.html

3. SEATTLE ULTIMATE FOUNDATION YOUTH COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP
The Seattle Ultimate Foundation (SUF) is offering the second year of its
annual SUF Youth College Scholarship. Two $2000 scholarships will be
awarded this May to college-bound, high-school seniors who play ultimate in
the Seattle area.  Applications are due April 15 and can be accessed here:
http://seattleultimatefoundation.org/scholarships/.

4. YOUTH COACHES AND FIELD MARSHALS NEEDED
The youth spring season is half over, but there are still 6 - yes, six(!) -
youth teams still looking for coaches to help them learn the game.  There
are paid and volunteer positions available for coaches of a variety of
experience levels.  Even if you've never coached ultimate, there is a spot
for you.  DiscNW also still needs field marshals for several of its
Saturday youth games.  See details for all youth ultimate job listings at
http://www.discnw.org/youth/coaches.html#Jobs

5. 2013 YOUTH TIMELINE
Wondering what lies ahead in the Seattle youth ultimate world for 2013?
Here is a calendar for the spring youth season, as well as a few key dates
for events after this spring:
http://www.discnw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4540.  This calendar is not
comprehensive beyond May; additional events will take place later in the
year, and we will make every effort to add those events to the calendar.

6. SEEKING MEMBERS FOR NEW TASK FORCES
The DiscNW Youth Strategic Committee recently created three new task
forces--working committees that each focus on one significant element of
DiscNW's youth programming.  We are seeking members for these new groups,
which include a Fundraising Task Force, a Youth Club Task Force, and a
Youth Development and Growth Task Force (which will focus on developing a
sanctioned Seattle Public High School league in 2013 and 2014).  If you are
interested in participating in any of these task forces, or on the Youth
Strategic Committee, which oversees these task forces, you can read more
details here: http://www.discnw.org/youth/youthcomm.html  Direct questions
to DiscNW Director of Youth Operations Wynne Scherf at
youth.director at discnw.org.

7. APRIL PERSON OF THE MONTH
Longtime local youth coach Chris "Fozz" Forsberg is DiscNW's April Person
of the Month!  Read an entertaining interview about Fozz's history and
contributions at http://www.discnw.org/community/personofthemonth.html

8. APRIL 13-14 OBSERVER CLINIC
DiscNW is hosting a USA Ultimate observer clinic on April 13-14. The
classroom session will take place at UW-Bothell from 9am to 12:30pm on
Saturday.  On Sunday, April 14, on field training will take place at
Magnuson Park in Seattle.  Trainers will coordinate times with clinic
attendees for the on-field session, which will last approximately 2 hours.
For more information or to register, visit
http://www.usaultimate.org/events/usa-ultimate-observer-certification-clinic-bothell-wa/.
Questions can be directed to observer at discnw.org.

That's it for today!  It's been an unusually busy spring at DiscNW.  Did
you know that we experienced a whopping 25% growth in our spring youth team
leagues?!  It's fantastic to see the sport develop in the region.

Sunny Days,

Wynne Scherf
DiscNW Director of Youth Operations