[Youth-announce] August Youth Ultimate News

Wynne Scherf wynne.scherf at discnw.org
Sun Aug 18 11:15:18 PDT 2013

Hi, Youth Ultimate Enthusiasts!

Long time, no see.  I have 7 pieces of news for you today:

   1. Final Seattle Ultimate Camp Session - This Week
   2. Fall League Updates
   3. DiscNW Youth Summit
   4. Seattle Teams See Success at the Youth Club Championships
   5. Fall Bid Auction for Youth
   6. Youth Coaches Needed
   7. Watch Elite Ultimate at the West Coast Cup

*
Final Seattle Ultimate Camp Session - This Week*

There is still space available to sign up for the Seattle Ultimate Camps on
August 19-23, with divisions for ages 8 through high school.  Sign up here:
http://www.discnw.org/events/SeattleUltimateCamps.html

*Fall League Updates*

Registration is now open for the *Fall Middle School Club League*.  The
league is accepting team sign-ups only, but we will do our best to place
individuals on teams (see league webpage for more info).  Rosters need not
be school-based.  Games are Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons.
http://www.discnw.org/events/FallMSClub.html

DiscNW is again partnering with Seattle Public Schools to run the *SPS Fall
Middle School Ultimate League*.  Registration for that will open by the end
of August.  Seattle Public School students should contact their school
athletic coordinator for more information on school teams.

*High school boys' school-based ultimate* takes place in the fall and is
independently coordinated by the teams participating in the league (not by
DiscNW).  If you are interested in playing boys' fall ultimate, contact
Seattle Public Schools division commissioner Rusty Brown at <
wizard0965 at gmail.com>.

*High school girls' club ultimate *will also take place this fall or
winter.  DiscNW is gathering information on the best way to serve girls'
needs in the school teams' off-season.  If you have ideas or wishes,
contact Wynne Scherf at youth.director at discnw.org.  Look for event sign-ups
by early September.

There are tentative plans underway for a *fall elementary school club
league.*  Look for information in our next newsletter or at
www.discnw.orgby early September.

*DiscNW Youth Summit*

Interested in helping to guide DiscNW's future youth programs?  Want to
provide feedback on current programs?  We invite all youth ultimate
players, parents, coaches, administrators, and friends to join us for
the *DiscNW
Youth Summit on Sunday, September 15*.  Tentatively, it will take place
from 1:30-6pm at the Phinney Center.  Registration will be available by
August 23 at www.discnw.org.

*Seattle Teams See Success at the Youth Club Championships*

Congratulations to the Seattle youth club teams for their performance at
the USA Ultimate Youth Club Championships (YCC) on August 10-11 in Blaine,
MN!

   - The DiscNW U19 girls won their 9th consecutive championship as well as
   the tournament Spirit of the Game award.
   - The DiscNW U19 mixed team won the Spirit of the Game award.
   - The DiscNW U19 open team brought home the silver medal.
   - In addition, a parent-organized team from Seattle won the gold in the
   U16 open division.

*Fall Bid Auction for Youth*

DiscNW's third annual dinner auction will tentatively take place in
November!  Fall Bid raises money for DiscNW's Youth Development Fund,
which  finances youth activities and initiatives designed to promote the
sport of Ultimate and support the participation of underserved populations
in the sport.  We are working on finalizing a date and location, but it
will most likely be Saturday, November 9 (November 16 being the back-up).
If you would like to donate an item to the auction or participate on the
planning committee, please contact Wynne Scherf at youth.director at discnw.org

*Youth Coaches Needed*

With the fall SPS middle school ultimate season just around the corner,
there will soon be a rush to fill a multitude of coaching positions.  If
you are interested in coaching youth ultimate, please contact Wynne Scherf
at youth.director at discnw.org.

Eastside Catholic Middle School in Sammamish is also starting a new team in
the spring.  Read about their generously-paid coaching position on the DiscNW
job listings <http://www.discnw.org/youth/coaches.html#Jobs>. Additional
jobs are added as openings are reported, so keep checking in!

*Watch Elite Ultimate at the West Coast Cup*

Today only!  Catch some of the best open ultimate in the world right in
Renton.  For information, see https://www.ngnultimate.com/blog/8  Prices
range from $0 for under-5 attendees to $10 for adults.  Every attendee is
entered into the halftime raffles for $200 of prizes.

Wynne Scherf
DiscNW Director of Youth Operations

* <http://www.discnw.org/events/SeattleUltimateCamps.html>*