[DiscNW] December Ultimate News

William Bartram william.bartram at discnw.org
Sun Dec 8 21:03:56 PST 2013

Hello Ultimate Friends,

I hope that you had a great Thanksgiving, and I wish you a safe and happy
holiday season!

In ultimate news...

   1. Changes to discnw.org
   2. Coaching Corps Applications
   3. USA Ultimate Coaching Clinic
   4. Winter Team League
   5. Winter Youth Club League
   6. Winter Pickup
   7. Consider DiscNW for Year-end Giving

*1. Changes to discnw.org <http://discnw.org>*

Coming this week, you will see changes to the DiscNW website.

DiscNW is undergoing a modernization of our website to improve performance
and service.  We expect these updates will bring better functionality and
will allow us to better administer our events.  We expect to make
additional changes to the website over the coming months.   We think it
will be great.

You should have access to the same information and resources that were
available before.  If you have any problems related to a specific event
website or registration, please contact the League Coordinator.  If you
have any general questions about the site or if you have trouble navigating
the site, please write to info at discnw.org.

*2. Coaching Corps Applications*

On Saturday, December 7, DiscNW rolled out its brand new universal
application for youth coaching positions. Most youth coaches for DiscNW
events will now be hired from the pool of candidates who submitted
applications via this portal.

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Applicants will receive
periodic announcements of current coach position openings as well as
coaching resources and learning opportunities.
If you are interested in joining the DiscNW Coaching Corps, apply
now<http://www.discnw.org/ale/register.html?clubEventId=756>.
Current job openings include U19 and U15 Winter Youth Club League
coaches<http://www.discnw.org/ale/clubevent.html?clubEventId=756#winterclub>,
but coaches not interested in these positions are also encouraged to fill
out the universal application to announce their candidacy for future
positions <http://www.discnw.org/ale/clubevent.html?clubEventId=756#future>.

*3. USA Ultimate Coaching Clinic *

USA Ultimate is bringing its Level I Coaching Development workshop to
Seattle on Sunday, February 9, 2014:
http://www.usaultimate.org/resources/coaching/cdp/level_i_coach_certification.aspx

The Level I program consists of two workshops (Coaching Ethics and Coaching
Performance) where coaches will learn skills and techniques to introduce
Ultimate and its skills to new players, manage effective practices, teach
and maintain Spirit of the Game, interact with and utilize parents, improve
the fitness of their team, maintain high professional coaching standards,
and behave both ethically and legally while coaching.
Register by January 27: http://play.usaultimate.org/members/login/

*4. Winter Team League - http://www.discnw.org/events/Winter.html
<http://www.discnw.org/events/Winter.html>*

Winter League offers a chance for established teams to get together and
play during the colder months. The league provides an opportunity for teams
to keep exercising in winter and to tune-up their games for spring.

Registration for the Winter Team League is now open.  The sign up and
payment deadline is December 20th.

*5. Winter Youth Club League* -
http://www.discnw.org/events/WinterYouthClubLeague.html

Registration is now open for a new mixed youth club league that will start
in January.  Quality coaching and competition make this league an exciting
option for youth players.

*6. Winter Pickup*

Winter pickup returns in 2014.  Games are scheduled for Wednesday evenings
and Sunday afternoons in January and February.  Visit the forums for
details: http://www.discnw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5373

*7. Consider DiscNW for Year-end Giving*

DiscNW manages two restricted funds, to help grow and support the sport of
ultimate in the Northwest:

   - The *Youth Development
Fund*<http://www.discnw.org/about/youthDevelopmentFund.html>(YDF)
finances youth activities and initiatives designed to promote the
   sport of Ultimate and support the participation of underserved populations
   in the sport. Examples include free youth ultimate camps and clinics,
   grants to new youth ultimate teams, assistance to the Seattle Public
   Schools' middle school ultimate league, and financial aid for teams and
   individuals to participate in DiscNW youth events.
   - The *Long Term Fields Fund* (LTFF) supports efforts to improve current
   playfields and develop new playfields. For example, the LTFF helped pay for
   ultimate lines at Magnuson Park and Jefferson Playfield. The LTFF can also
   provide for field maintenance, equipment to maintain healthy fields, or new
   playfield features to promote the sport of ultimate (e.g., signs explaining
   10 simple rules).

   - The *Youth Club Championship Scholarship Fund* provides for combined
   need- and merit-based financial aid packages for Northwest Region youth
   players representing DiscNW at the USA Ultimate Youth Club Championships
   (YCC).

DiscNW is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and your charitable gifts are
tax-deductible. If you would like to make a donation to DiscNW, please make
a check payable to DiscNW, naming the desired fund in the memo line, and
mail to PO Box 85112, Seattle WA, 98145. Donations may also made to the
DiscNW General Fund. DiscNW can use donations to the General Fund to
support any program. We appreciate your consideration.

Sincerely,
William Bartram
Executive Director, DiscNW