DiscNW Fall Bid Dinner Auction (11/17) & New Friends of DiscNW Mailing List

Wynne Scherf youth.director at discnw.org
Thu Oct 18 12:14:29 PDT 2012

Dear Friends of DiscNW,

As Director of Youth Operations at DiscNW, I am thrilled to invite you to
our November 17 Fall Bid dinner auction benefiting our Youth Development
Fund!  The Youth Development Fund finances youth activities and initiatives
designed to promote the sport of Ultimate and support the participation of
underserved groups in the sport.

I have attached an invitation with details, or you can visit our Fall Bid
webpage for more information at
http://www.discnw.org/events/FallBidAuction.html  To help us prepare,
please RSVP by November 7.  After this, we will welcome guests as space
allows.  We ask that guests be at least 21 years of age, but we do welcome
younger persons to volunteer (email auction.dinner at discnw.org for
information).

I thoroughly enjoyed our first auction in 2011.  It was a rare opportunity
to engage with a cross section of community - from current league and
tourney participants to the originators of the sport in Seattle, from the
youth volunteering to serve dinner to their parents and coaches enjoying
the meal and camaraderie.  I was pleasantly surprised at how sophisticated
and handsome our community looked when wearing something other than
athletic garb and outdoor gear.  More importantly, I was blown away by the
generosity of our guests, who helped us raise nearly $15,000 for our Youth
Development Fund.  In the last year, this support allowed us to serve many,
many youth with barriers to accessing the sport, such as financial need,
gender inequity, and limited knowledge of Ultimate, through initiatives
such as free or inexpensive youth events and clinics, financial aid for
DiscNW youth events, and equipment and resources for new youth teams.

Our goals for the 2012 Fall Bid auction are similar.  I hope that you can
join us on that rainy, November 17 Saturday evening for an memorable and
meaningful event.

If you cannot join us, please consider a donation to the Youth Development
Fund.  Checks can be made out to DiscNW, with "YDF" in the memo line, and
mailed to PO Box 85112, Seattle, WA 98145.  Auction sponsorship and table
captain opportunities are also available and are explained on the event
webpage at http://www.discnw.org/events/FallBidAuction/Table Captains &
Sponsors.html.

This is our first message to the new Friends of DiscNW mailing list.  Per
feedback collected on DiscNW's recent strategic survey, this mailing list
was created to apprise our community of ways to support DiscNW and grow the
sport of Ultimate.  We will send messages once per month on average, though
messages may be more or less frequent depending on the time of year and
opportunities available at that time.  Examples of content include
opportunities to volunteer, engage in committees or strategic planning, or
participate in fundraising activities.  You have received this message
because A) you created a user profile on the DiscNW website and
participated in a DiscNW event sometime in the last six years, or B) you
are a member of one of current youth or general mailing lists.

Our goal is to reach active members (players, parents, and coaches) as well
as Ultimate "alumni" who are not currently involved on the field but who
might still be interested in the development of the sport in the
Northwest.  However, we understand that not all former event participants
may be interested in these types of activities.  As such, it is easy to
unsubscribe from the new Friends of DiscNW mailing list.  Simply follow the
instructions in the footer below my signature, or, alternatively, send a
message from the subscribed email account to <
friends-announce-leave at lists.discnw.org>.  The list will send a return
message which contains a link to unsubscribe.  Click on that link, or reply
to that message (leaving the number in the subject line intact) to complete
the unsubscription process.

On the other hand, if you know of other DiscNW supporters who might not
have a user profile at DiscNW.org (for example, parents whose children
participate in team leagues but who have not registered for camps or hat
leagues via our website, or alumni who engaged in Ultimate prior to 2006),
please pass this message on to them and encourage them to subscribe for the
mailing list at http://lists.discnw.org/mailman/listinfo/friends-announce.

That is all for today!  Thank you for your support - whether that is via
participation in events or something more.  I hope to see you at the Fall
Bid auction on November 17!

Warm Regards,

--
Wynne Scherf