[Youth-announce] Winter Announcements

Wynne Scherf wynne.scherf at discnw.org
Mon Nov 24 16:36:13 PST 2008

Hello, Youth Ultimate Community!

Here are the items for this winter's digest:
1. Youth Summit Follow-Up
2. Youth Committee Meeting
3. UPA Coaching Clinics
4. Ultimate-Related Job Openings

*1. Youth Summit Follow-Up*
Over 35 youth players, organizers, coaches, parents, and fans assembled on
Sunday, October 26 for the DiscNW Youth Summit. Over food; good company; and
lots of markers, sticky notes, and crayons; they brainstormed and discussed
a wide range of topics that will inform and prioritize the strategic
direction of short- and long-term youth Ultimate initiatives at DiscNW.
DiscNW staff has processed the data collected from the discussions that
occurred at the Summit. The results are now available for viewing on the Youth
Summit event page. <http://www.discnw.org/youth/summit/>  The DiscNW staff
and Board of Directors are currently using these reports to develop an
official strategic document for youth, which will be available for public
viewing by the end of the year.

*2. Youth Committee Meeting*
There is an open Youth Committee meeting on December 2 at 7 pm, at the
Treehouse facility.  The address is 2100 24th Ave South - Seattle, WA
98144.<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2100+24th+Ave+S,+Seattle,+King,+Washington+98144&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.335236,56.25&ie=UTF8&cd=2&geocode=FeYU1gIdPdO1-A&ll=47.585341,-122.301629&spn=0.006715,0.013733&z=16&g=2100+24th+Ave+S,+Seattle,+King,+Washington+98144&iwloc=addr>There's
street parking, and it's on the second floor in suite 200.  The
agenda, in short, is to allow for public feedback on the official strategic
document for youth, to introduce the model for the new DiscNW youth
governing body, and to begin staffing that governing body.  If you are
interested in attending, please email me at youth.director at discnw.org.  I
will send you the official strategic document prior to the meeting, since we
will not be reviewing it in depth at that time (we will only be seeking
feedback).

3.* UPA Coaching Clinics*
The Ultimate Players Association will be providing Level
I<http://www.upa.org/coaches/coaching>and Level
II <http://www.upa.org/coaches/coaching2> coaching clinics in Seattle this
winter.  We are still working on the details of the dates, but we are
tentatively looking at late January for the Level I clinic and sometime in
February for the Level II clinic.  If you are interested in attending either
or both of these clinics, please contact me at youth.director at discnw.org.
In addition, I am looking for a Local
Coordinator<http://www.upa.org/coordinators/clinics/level1>for the
Level I clinic.  The Local Coordinator gets to attend the clinic for
free.  Please notify me this week if you are interested.  We are starting
planning for the clinic today.

4. *Ultimate Job Openings*
Please contact me at youth.director at discnw.org if you are interested in any
of the following positions:
A) On-field supervisor for the Elementary School spring league.  Saturdays
March 14-May 16.  Stipend of approximately $300.
B) Coach for Explorer West Middle School (paid) (see the Coaches'
Info<http://www.discnw.org/youth/coaches.html#Jobs>page for details).
C) Coach for Seattle Girls' School (paid) (see the Coaches'
Info<http://www.discnw.org/youth/coaches.html#Jobs>page for details).
D) Volunteer coach for a youth program in Dupont.
E) Local Coordinator for UPA Level I Coaching Clinic (see #3 above for
details).  Compensation is free attendance at the clinic.

That's it for now!

--
Wynne Scherf
DiscNW