[Youth-announce] Mid-Summer Youth Ultimate Announcements

Wynne Scherf wynne.scherf at discnw.org
Sat Aug 1 14:52:05 PDT 2009

Hi, Seattle Youth Ultimate Camp Parents, and other Youth Ultimate
Enthusiasts!

We still have plenty of great events left for this summer!

SEATTLE YOUTH ULTIMATE CAMPS

The final Seattle Youth Ultimate Camp session will be August 17-21 at
Magnuson Park, with sessions for the following age groups: 10-11, 12-13, and
high school.  Here is the link to register:
http://www.discnw.org/events/SeattleUltimateCamp.html

MOHO & MINI MOHO

These clinics/youth pick-up sessions are free and open to players of all
experience levels!

The final scheduled summer MoHo session for high school students is this
Monday, August 3.  Click on this link for more info and to register:
http://www.discnw.org/events/MoHo.html  We may schedule more sessions later
on, so please keep checking back at that link for information.

Mini MoHo for middle school students is on Sundays through August 16.  Click
on this link for more info and to register:
http://www.discnw.org/events/minimoho.html

SOCKEYE: THE FUTURE.

WHAT: A free junior skills clinic hosted by Seattle Sockeye
WHEN: Sunday, August 23rd, 12:00 - 3:00pm
WHERE: Summit K-12 Fields, 11051 34th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98125
WHO: Middle School and High School Boys and Girls

Register now at www.seattlesockeye.org/register/ to secure your spot!

JAMBOREECC

Interested in seeing some of the world's best Ultimate players?  Seattle
Sockeye is proud to present JamboreECC--a fast-paced mini-tournament
featuring 3 women's teams and 5 men's teams from Seattle, South America,
England and Canada.

On Thursday, August 13, 7:00-9:30 pm, at the Mickey Merriam fields at
Magnuson Park (see http://www.discnw.org/ale/field.html?fieldAreaId=291 for
a map), join us for an evening of fast-paced, world-class Ultimate. With a
high-velocity, jamboree-style format--8 teams, 10 games, 15-minute
games--JamboreECC promises to be a fun, action-packed night for players and
spectators alike.

Admission is $5, OR $3 WITH A DISCNW TEAM JERSEY OR CAMP T-SHIRT!  Admission
subsidizes fields and lights and hopefully helps to support the
international teams.
Teams:
Underground (Seattle women)
Riot (Seattle women)
Revolucion (Colombia women)
Goat (Eastern Canada men)
Clapham United (Great Britain men)
Furious George (Vancouver, BC men)
Kie (Columbia men)
Sockeye (Seattle men)

JamboreECC is a sister event to the Emerald City Classic (ECC), the premier
international tournament for Ultimate, held the following weekend (August
14-16) in Burlington, Washington. Thanks to the international teams
traveling to play at ECC that weekend, and to our generous sponsors
(Patagonia, nuun, DiscNW, and Flashflight)!

HOST NEEDED FOR ULTIMATE-PLAYING, FINNISH EXCHANGE STUDENT

Interested?  Read on for a message from Jordan Rose, Youth Activities
Director at the Bay Area Disc Association (jordaneous at yahoo.com)

"I've been hearing from a family in Helsinki that's trying to place their 16
year old son Veikko with a good host family in the US. He's part of a
program called Youth For Understanding, which has not yet found a place and
his year long program starts in the fall. Apparently the kid is quite an
ultimate player (on the Finnish national juniors team I'm told) and would
add a lot to any HS team. They really wanted for him to be in the bay area,
and of course I would love to add such a player to my own roster at
Berkeley, but I'd also just love to help them out one way or another, even
at the risk of seeing him on the other side of the field from my kids one
day. None of the parents of kids on my team seems able to host him. Is there
anyone out there who would be interested in hosting, whether in the bay area
or some other wonderful place in the country? Ask the families on your teams
to consider it and let me know, I'll get you in touch with his mom, Tuula.
She's afraid of him being placed in some backwater without good ulti, but
there are many awesome corners of the country that have ultimate (in some
ways, the two are synonymous!), that if one of you could help, they'd be
assured of a good placement."
 <http://www.bayareadiscassociation.org/>

--
Wynne Scherf
DiscNW

Sign up for Seattle Youth Ultimate Camps at
http://www.discnw.org/events/SeattleUltimateCamp.html