[Youth-announce] Fall Youth Announcements

Wynne Scherf wynne.scherf at discnw.org
Wed Sep 1 15:39:23 PDT 2010

Hello, Youth Ultimate Enthusiasts!

Brrr, yesterday reminded me that I owe you a fall youth Ultimate digest!
Eight messages on the docket today:

1. Fall High School Leagues
2. Fall Middle School Leagues
3. Fall Drizzle Youth Tournament (elementary through high school)
4. League Coordinators & Coaches Needed
5. Seattle Coaching Series
6. Youth Player Nels Schimek wins SUBWAY® Washington Games Athlete of the
Year Award
7. Seattle Youth Club Championship Teams' Success
8. Important Note about 2011 YCC Eligibility

1. Fall High School Leagues

There are two leagues for high school players this fall:

A) **New** Fall HS Open Team League: Registration deadline September 2.
Games Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.  Register at
http://www.discnw.org/ale/clubevent.html?clubEventId=445

B) Fall High School Hat league: Returning after a year away, the focus for
this league is having fun and teaching or learning Ultimate.  Games Fridays
at Hamlin Park in Shoreline.  Register at
http://www.discnw.org/events/FallHSHat.html

2. Fall Middle School Leagues

There are two leagues for middle school players this fall:

A) Seattle Public Middle School League: Registration deadline September 15.
Games Saturdays at Ingraham High School.  For Seattle Public middle schools
only.  Register at http://www.discnw.org/events/FallMS.html

B) Seattle Community Center League: Games Friday nights September through
November.  Learn more at
http://class.seattle.gov/parks/Activities/ActivitiesDetails.asp?ProcessWait=N&aid=85

3. Fall Drizzle Tournament (elementary through high school)

Here is a message from event organizer and Western Washington University
(WWU) Chaos alumna Alyssa Weatherford:

"HEY!!!  I am very excited to get the ball moving for FD 2010. This email is
to let you know the preliminary details for this upcoming awesome
tournament.   Last year we ended up having 8 high school teams and 2
divisions of middle school teams with a very exciting high school final
between Charles Wright and 'NW Sophomores' and a middle school A division
upset of Eckstein over two-year reigning champ Mercer (who knows what will
happen this year. . .FUN!). Our hope is to continue the excitement this year
with new teams and a possible new location.  We are right now in the process
of solidifying a date and fields.  It will most likey be Saturday October
16th and in Burlington but we are looking into other possiblties.
Tournament cost depends on where we end up being and how many teams decide
to partake, but it will be for sure under $200 with the possibility of
financial help if needed.

We are going to try to start an Elementary School Division! Some of the WWU
players have coached ES this past summer and we would love to see if this is
possible. This one day tournament could be on Saturday or Sunday.  I think
saturday would work better for field space but I am pretty sure we can make
either day work. If you are interested at all please let me know and we can
get started!

Things to remember: CO-ED, players must all come from the same school (you
may have up to 2-3 players from another school if their school doesn't have
a team or their school team will not be participating), we will be supplying
snacks but not lunch, it is totally fine if its a student that is organizing
the team, and of course we will have really awesome Chaos gear to buy!  New
- There will be waivers that will need to be signed this year through the
Western Washington University (WWU).

All the proceeds will go to help the WWU women travel to tournaments.   IF
YOU ARE INTERESTED please email me (a.weatherford at gmail.com) letting me know
the school and the main contacts associated with the school team and then
you will continue to get emails from me! YAY!   Also if you have any other
questions just shoot me an email and I will do my best.   Thanks so much."

4) League Coordinators and Coaches Needed

We have two youth League Coordinator positions open at this time (for the
high school leagues quoted above).  These are stipend volunteer positions.
If you are interested in details, contact me at wynne.scherf at discnw.org.

With the fall season starting up, there are also many middle and high school
teams looking for coaches.  Some of these are paid positions and others are
purely volunteer.  Please contact me at wynne.scherf at discnw.org if you are
interested in coaching.  Support youth Ultimate: coach a team!

5) Seattle Coaching Series

DiscNW and Seattle Public Schools are partnering to host the second annual
Seattle Coaching Series, designed to teach the teaches the skills necessary
to coach beginning and intermediate Ultimate. Participants may attend any or
all of the five 3-hour sessions, which begin Sunday, September 12. The
Series has been approved by Seattle Public Schools for up to 15 clock
hours.  For more information see
http://www.discnw.org/events/SeattleUltimateCoachingSeries.html

6) Youth Player Nels Schimek wins SUBWAY® Washington Games Athlete of the
Year Award

The SUBWAY® Washington Games Athlete of the Year Award recognizes athletes
who personify the ideals of the State Games movement: participation and
achievement, sportsmanship, good attitude and effort, and special attributes
within the sport/community.  Nels won three medals at the SUBWAY® Washington
Games disc event this summer.  He competed in the AAU Junior Olympics last
month, and he plays a wide range of sports.   Nels' coaches commented on his
maturity and ability to lead his team during competition, and one described
him as "polite, focused, and intelligent. Just the type of athlete you love
to have on your team."  Congratulations, Nels!

Nels' nomination will now be considered by the National Congress of State
Games (NCSG) for the National Athlete of the Year Award.  The male and
female who best exemplify these qualities will have the opportunity to be
the guest of the NCSG and travel to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida for the NCSG
symposium where they will be awarded this distinction.

7)  Seattle Youth Club Championship Teams' Success

Congratulations to our youth club teams for the best ever Seattle finish at
the USA Ultimate Youth Club Championship last month!  The teams were
selected in a citywide tryout that occurred in June.  At the tournament in
Blaine, MN, our mixed team placed 3rd, our boys' team placed 2nd, and our
girls' team won gold for the 6th year in a row.

8) Important Note about 2011 YCC Eligibility

This is a very important message for players who wish to participate in the
2011 Youth Club Championship (YCC) tournament.  In order to try out for the
YCC teams, you must participate in a qualifying league.  This year, we will
have just one season for the qualifying league, per USA Ultimate
requirements.  The qualifying league will be the late spring/early
summer **Youth
Club Draft Hat League.  Players wishing to try out for YCC teams in 2011
must have participated *either* in the 2010 Youth Club Draft Hat League (the
one that just wrapped up), *or*** in the 2011 Youth Club Draft Hat league
(which will begin in June, 2011).  If you have questions, contact me at
youth.director at discnw.org <%22youth.director at discnw.org>.

That's all for today!  As always, feel free to contact me about youth
Ultimate in the Northwest!

--
Wynne Scherf
DiscNW

We are offering a new high school team league this fall!  Registration
closes September 2, and games begin September 11.  Click
here<http://www.discnw.org/ale/clubevent.html?clubEventId=445>to learn
more!