[Youth-announce] New Year's News

Wynne Scherf wynne.scherf at discnw.org
Thu Jan 12 09:34:41 PST 2012

Happy New Year, DiscNW Youth Ultimate Enthusiasts!

I have four pieces of news for you in this first newsletter of 2012:

1. DiscNW is Hiring
2. Changes to Single Gender Ultimate
3. Youth Coaching Positions Available
4. DiscNW Person of the Month

1. DISCNW IS HIRING

DiscNW is accepting applications through January 16 for the position of
Operations
Manager. This is a part-time position that will begin in February, 2012. Be
part of a fun organization and help us to promote the sport of ultimate in
the Northwest.

For more information or to apply, visit the Operations Manager Job Posting
page: http://www.discnw.org/about/OperationsManager.html.

2. CHANGES TO SINGLE GENDER ULTIMATE
*
DiscNW is not running a single-gender high school team league this
spring.* Instead, the leagues will be run independently by several
local schools,
with a boys' league in the fall and a girls' league in the spring.

*Seattle teams who wish to play in the 2012 USA Ultimate Washington State
Championship must participate in the school-organized single-gender league
as a prerequisite** *(teams from outside of Seattle will have alternative
qualifying opportunities for the state championship).

If your high school team wishes to play in a single-gender league this
spring (girls) or next fall (boys), or in the Washington State Championship
in 2012, please contact Northwest School Athletic Directors Britt Atack (
britt.atack at northwestschool.org) and Mike Mullen (Mike.Mullen
@northwestschool.org) for more information on the school-organized single-
gender events.  Planning is already well underway for the spring girls'
league, so please contact them as soon as possible if you wish to play this
spring.

For school teams looking for a lower commitment opportunity to play
single-gender Ultimate for a day, DiscNW is hosting two single-gender high
school tournaments this spring: 1) The March 11 Green Games (
http://www.discnw.org/events/greengames.html) and 2) The late-season Spring
Jam (http://www.discnw.org/events/springjam.html)

For individual players wishing to play single-gender Ultimate, DiscNW is
running complementary club leagues, with a *High School Boys' Spring
Pod/Hat League* in the spring (http://www.discnw.org/events/boyspod.html)
and a girls' club league in the fall.

3. YOUTH COACHING POSITIONS AVAILABLE

Several youth teams are looking for coaches for the spring season.  For
more information, visit these links:

- http://www.discnw.org/youth/coaches.html#Jobs
- http://www.discnw.org/forums/viewforum.php?id=14

4. DISCNW PERSON OF THE MONTH

Because we don't get the chance often enough to fully thank and celebrate
everyone in the ultimate community, we are glad to announce a new feature,
the DiscNW Person of the Month. Inspired by the fun Player of the Month
profiles of Portland Ultimate, we will showcase a person (player, coach,
parent, fan, volunteer, etc.) each month at www.discnw.org.

For our first feature, we recognize Gwen Ambler!
http://www.discnw.org/community/personofthemonth.html

That's all for today!  Things will get really exciting very soon at
DiscNW.  I look forward to seeing you out on the fields this spring!

--
Wynne Scherf
DiscNW

Registration is now open for EIGHT spring youth leagues and tournaments at
www.discnw.org!