[Youth-announce] Year-End DiscNW Youth Announcements

Wynne Scherf wynne.scherf at discnw.org
Fri Dec 13 14:45:08 PST 2013

Hello, Youth Ultimate Enthusiasts of the Northwest!

Long time, no e-see.  I bring 6 news items for you today:

1. New! Winter Youth Club League
2. New! DiscNW Youth Coaching Corps Applications
3. Changes to discnw.org
4. Fall Bid Success
5. February 9 USA Ultimate Level I Coaching Workshop
6. December 15 Fryz Youth Club Tryout

1. NEW! WINTER YOUTH CLUB LEAGUE

Registration is now open for DiscNW's mixed winter club league, with U19
and U15 divisions.  Tryouts are Sunday, January 5, with games on Sunday
afternoons/evenings from January 12 through March 9.  This is a great way
for players to prepare for the big spring season.  Registration closes on
January 3 at http://www.discnw.org/events/WinterYouthClubLeague/

2. NEW! DISCNW YOUTH COACHING CORPS APPLICATIONS

DiscNW recently rolled out a brand new universal application for youth
coaching positions. Most youth coaches for DiscNW events will now be hired
from the pool of candidates who have submitted applications via this portal.

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Applicants will receive
periodic announcements of current coach position openings as well as
coaching resources and learning opportunities. If you are interested in
joining the DiscNW Coaching Corps, read more and apply now at
http://www.discnw.org/events/CoachingCorps/

We are currently hiring Winter Youth Club League coaches (applications due
December 15), but coaches not interested in this position are encouraged to
fill out the universal application to announce their candidacy for future
positions.

3. CHANGES TO DISCNW.ORG

DiscNW is undergoing a modernization of our website to improve performance
and service.  We expect these updates will bring better functionality and
will allow us to better administer our events.  We expect to make
additional changes to the website over the coming months.   We think it
will be great.

You should have access to the same information and resources that were
available before.  If you have any problems related to a specific event
website or registration, please contact the event coordinator.  If you
have any general questions about the site or if you have trouble navigating
the site, please write to info at discnw.org.

4. FALL BID SUCCESS

Last month, over 80 guests, volunteers, and staff gathered at DiscNW's
third annual Fall Bid dinner auction to raise over $20k for DiscNW's Youth
Development Fund (YDF).  The YDF finances youth activities and initiatives
designed to promote the sport of Ultimate and support the participation of
underserved populations in the sport; in 2013, the YDF financed nearly $50k
in regional youth programs with these goals.  Gifts from the Fall Bid
auction contribute significantly to our ability to continue this youth
sponsorship in 2014.  DiscNW is extremely grateful to the Fall Bid guests,
volunteers, sponsors, and item donors who helped us to fulfill our mission.

If you missed Fall Bid but would like to help DiscNW grow the sport and
improve its accessibility for youth, please consider a tax-deductible
donation to DiscNW's Youth Development Fund.  Donations may be submitted
online at www.discnw.org or by mailing a check to DiscNW at PO Box 85112,
Seattle, WA 98145.  Please include a note with your check or send an email
to info at discnw.org to indicate that your donation should be directed to the
YDF.

5. FEBRUARY 9 USA ULTIMATE LEVEL 1 COACHING WORKSHOP

USA Ultimate is bringing its Level I Coaching Development workshop to
Seattle on Sunday, February 9, 2014.  The Level I program consists of two
workshops (Coaching Ethics and Coaching Performance) where coaches will
learn skills and techniques to introduce Ultimate and its skills to new
players, manage effective practices, teach and maintain Spirit of the Game,
interact with and utilize parents, improve the fitness of their team,
maintain high professional coaching standards, and behave both ethically
and legally while coaching.

Learn more about the program at
http://www.usaultimate.org/resources/coaching/cdp/level_i_coach_certification.aspx

Register for the Seattle workshop by January 27 at
http://play.usaultimate.org/members/login/

6. DECEMBER 15 FRYZ YOUTH CLUB TRYOUT

The Fryz youth ultimate team (currently ranked #1 in the nation in Youth
Open and #2 in Youth Girls) is hosting its second and final tryout on
December 15 at Magnuson Parks, 10am-2pm. Tryouts are open to players in
grades 6-12, and four teams will be formed: Open, Girlz, Mixed and Small
Fryz

  Pre-registration is open now. Please go to
FryzUltimate.com<http://www.fryzultimate.com>to pre-register and to
download the team waiver.  Bring light and dark
jerseys, snacks, and plenty of water. Please show up 30 minutes early to
register and warm up.

Please note that *Fryz is not a DiscNW program.* If you have questions,
please visit the team webpage at http://www.fryzultimate.com/ to read about
the team tryouts and to access an online contact form.

Happy holidays to our plastic-loving friends throughout the Northwest!

Wynne Scherf
DiscNW Director of Youth Operations