[Youth-announce] Early August Youth Ultimate News

Wynne Scherf wynne.scherf at discnw.org
Fri Aug 1 14:15:27 PDT 2014

Hello, Youth Ultimate Enthusiasts!

I have eight pieces of juicy news for you today:

1. Impromptu Coaching Workshop and Certification: Tomorrow!
2. All Ages Youth Clinic: Monday
3. Ultimate-Playing Exchange Student Needs Home
4. Follow the DiscNW Club Teams at the National Championships
5. New High School Leadership Camp
6. One Remaining Seattle Ultimate Camp
7. Fall Youth Events
8. Youth Ultimate Enthusiasts Needed for November 8 Fall Bid Planning

1. IMPROMPTU COACHING WORKSHOP AND CERTIFICATION: TOMORROW

DiscNW is hosting an impromptu USA Ultimate Level I Coaching Certification
on this Saturday, August 2, at the Meadowbrook Community Center, from 9am
to 4pm.  This clinic is a great resource for all coaches, and it is
required of DiscNW's Youth Club Championship (YCC) coaches.  The clinic
only visits Seattle once (rarely, twice) per year, so this is your chance.
Although you must be 21 years of age in order to receive certification,
high school captains are welcome to attend the workshop and will find the
program useful.  Female coaches or coaches of female players might be
eligible for a clinic rebate (see
http://www.usaultimate.org/resources/development/women/coaching_workshop_rebate.aspx
).

Read more about the clinic content here:
http://www.usaultimate.org/resources/coaching/cdp/default.aspx
Register for the clinic TODAY at:
http://play.usaultimate.org/clinics/cdp_level_i_seattle_wa/

2. ALL-AGES YOUTH CLINIC: MONDAY

Franklin High School Athletic Field <https://www.discnw.org/fieldareas/173/>,
2-5pm.  No ultimate experience necessary.  No age is too young; all
under-18 players welcome!  Cost is $15 per person, but financial aid will
be available.  Must bring a signed DiscNW waiver (unless already signed for
the 2013-14 school year).  Coached by the DiscNW U16 girls' team and their
coaches, this clinic is a fundraiser for their trip to the USA Ultimate
Youth Club Championships in Blaine, MN next week.

Please preregister at http://tinyurl.com/youthultimateclinic
Waivers can be printed from
http://www.discnw.org/youth/2013-2014DiscNWYouthWaiver.pdf

3. ULTIMATE-PLAYING EXCHANGE STUDENT NEEDS HOME

DiscNW was recently contacted by Katja from Aspect Foundation student
exchange, who is looking for a 2014-15 school year host for Santiago, an
ultimate-playing high school student from Colombia.  For more information
about Santiago and details about applying to host him this year, visit the
DiscNW bulletin boards at
https://www.discnw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5876

4. FOLLOW THE DISCNW CLUB TEAMS AT THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Next weekend, August 9-10, five DiscNW teams will travel to Blaine,
Minnesota to compete in the USA Ultimate Youth Club Championships.  DiscNW
teams enter the tournament seeded high in all five divisions.  To view
schedules and follow the teams throughout the weekend, visit the event page
at http://play.usaultimate.org/events/Youth-Club-Championships/

For more personal commentary on the teams' performance, check out the
DiscNW YCC tweets at https://twitter.com/discnwycc

If you'd like to support the YCC teams, who are still approximately $10k
short of meeting their players' financial aid needs, please consider a
donation to the DiscNW YCC Scholarship Fund at
https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=62849 (shoot an email
to ycc at discnw.org so that we know to which DiscNWfund the donation should
be directed).  Thanks for your consideration!

5. NEW HIGH SCHOOL LEADERSHIP CAMP

On August 18-22, DiscNW will host its new Leadership Camp for select, 16-19
year old leaders (by application). Players will learn captaining and
coaching skills, practice implementing those skills with younger players,
and receive feedback on their performance from camp coaches Lou Burruss,
Alyssa Weatherford, and Reid Koss.  Camp includes lunchtime convocations
with leaders from the Northwest ultimate community, like Ben Wiggins, Gwen
Ambler, and Dom Fontenette.  The camp takes place at Magnuson Park,
8:30-3:30pm.  The camp fee is $275, with financial aid available.

Learn more and apply at https://www.discnw.org/events/LeadershipCamp/

6. ONE REMAINING SEATTLE ULTIMATE CAMP

DiscNW will also host its final traditional skills camp on August 18-22,
with spots for players ages 8 through high school.  The camp takes place at
Magnuson Park, 9-3pm.  The registration fee is $275, with financial aid
available. For more information, and to register, visit
https://www.discnw.org/events/SeattleUltimateCamps/

7. FALL YOUTH EVENTS

We've been getting lots of questions about our plans for the fall season.
We're running a bit behind on fall event registrations since we're
transitioning to a new Youth Director, but here is what we've got up our
sleeve:

*Fall Middle School Club League* - with individual and team registrations
accepted, most likely on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons, 3:30-5pm, at
Green Lake and View Ridge Playfields.  This league will run from early to
mid-September through late October.  It is a casual league with a focus on
fun and learning, teaching and practicing ultimate.

*Fall Girls Club Series* - this will be a series of ultimate tournaments
for girls in grades 8-12.  Bring your own team, and register for as few or
as many of the tournaments as you would like.  A free agent team will be
available as well.  Games will be 4-on-4 on abbreviated fields, with some
minor rules differences ("mini" ultimate).  Teams playing in a minimum
number of the qualifying tournaments will be eligible for the Fall Girls'
Club Championship at the end of the season.  If you're interested in
helping to plan this new and exciting club series,
fall.youth.girls at discnw.org

*Fall High School Boys Season* - DiscNW is taking the official boys' high
school season back under its wing this school year.  For more information,
email fall.boys at discnw.org

*Fall Seattle Public Middle School League* - As usual, DiscNW will be
helping Seattle Public Schools to run its official fall middle school
league on Saturdays.  For more information, email fall.ms at discnw.org

8. YOUTH ULTIMATE ENTHUSIASTS NEEDED FOR NOVEMBER 8 FALL BID PLANNING

If you consistently read to the bottom of my admittedly verbose
announcements, you probably know by now that DiscNW is hosting our biggest
youth fundraiser on Saturday, November 8, at the Swedish Cultural Center.
We're looking for new and enthusiastic members for our fundraising
committee to help us plan a successful event.  No fundraising experience
required.  We'll take any interested party, but we're looking for someone
who, ideally, is interested in sticking around for three auctions: once to
observe and learn, once to actively implement, and once to mentor new
committee members.  Contact auction.dinner at discnw.org if you are creative,
organized, and/or and passionate about supporting youth in the sport of
ultimate!

Fall Bid benefits DiscNW's Youth Development Fund, which finances youth
activities and initiatives designed to promote the sport of ultimate and
support the participation of under-served populations.

And I thought my early July message would be my final message to you!
There's so much going on this summer, I just couldn't help but slip in a
couple more.  Enjoy the sunshine, throw some plastic!

Warmly,

<https://www.discnw.org/events/SeattleUltimateCamps/>
Wynne Scherf
DiscNW Director of Youth Operations