[Youth-announce] 2011 Year-End Youth Ultimate News

Wynne Scherf wynne.scherf at discnw.org
Wed Dec 28 14:41:38 PST 2011

Hello, Youth Ultimate Enthusiasts!

I have 8 announcements for you today:

1. Thanks to Volunteers and Contributors
2. Registration for Spring Youth Leagues and Tournaments
3. Coaches and League Coordinator Needed for New Boys' League
4. Please Consider a Year-End Gift to DiscNW
5. USA Ultimate Coaching Clinic on 2/5
6. Fryz Club Youth Team Tryouts
7. Five Ultimate is Hiring
8. USA Ultimate is Hiring

1. THANKS TO VOLUNTEERS AND CONTRIBUTORS

As the year draws to a close, the DiscNW staff would like to express our
appreciation for the hundreds of volunteers and contributors who, in the
past year, have planned and run leagues, camps, clinics and tournaments;
served on committees to make our organization better; coached youth
players; donated to our Youth Development Fund; and managed our web and
financial resources. Your contributions allow us to provide unique,
year-round Ultimate opportunities for youth and adults across the Northwest.

You are DiscNW. Thank you.

2. REGISTRATION FOR SPRING YOUTH LEAGUES AND TOURNAMENTS
Registration is now open for the following youth events:

- Elementary School Coed League (
http://www.discnw.org/events/SpringElementary.html)
- Middle School Coed League (http://www.discnw.org/events/SpringMS.html)
- Middle School Single-Gender League (
http://www.discnw.org/events/SpringMSSG.html)
- High School Coed League (http://www.discnw.org/events/SpringHSCoed.html)
- High School Boys’ Pod/Hat League  (
http://www.discnw.org/events/boyspod.html)
- The March 11 Green Games single-gender tourney (
http://www.discnw.org/events/greengames.html)
- The April 28-29 Spring Reign coed tourney (
http://www.discnw.org/events/SpringReign.html)
- The late season Spring Jam single-gender tourney (
http://www.discnw.org/events/springjam.html)

Registration will open soon for the Tacoma High School League.  We are
still finalizing details for that event.  If you would like to provide
input or feedback on the Tacoma league, please contact me at
youth.director at discnw.org

3. COACHES AND LEAGUE COORDINATOR NEEDED FOR NEW BOYS' LEAGUE

The new High School Boys' Spring Pod/Hat League is in need of 4-6 coaches
and a League Coordinator.

- Coaches will be responsible for supervising and coaching one team of
players for one 2-hour game each week. They will also help the League
Coordinator to collect the paperwork for the players on their team.

- The League Coordinator will respond to customer service emails throughout
the season, keep the website updated with timely info, manage and collect
league paperwork, monitor games to ensure safe conditions and to resolve
on-field conflicts, and prepare a season-end report. This position may be
shared by two individuals.

Both volunteer positions are associated with a modest stipend to help cover
the cost of gas and other league-related expenses. We will not know the
times/locations of the league until we receive our field reservations in
January, but if you are interested in serving in either of these roles,
please contact DiscNW Director of Youth Operations Wynne Scherf at
youth.director at discnw.org and indicate your availability.

4. PLEASE CONSIDER A YEAR-END GIFT TO DISCNW

DiscNW manages two restricted funds, described below, to help grow and
support the sport of ultimate in the Northwest. DiscNW is a 501(c)(3)
nonprofit, and your charitable gifts are tax-deductible. If you would like
to make a donation to DiscNW, please name the desired fund in the memo
line, and make the check payable to DiscNW at PO Box 85112, Seattle WA,
98145. Donations may also made to the DiscNW General Fund. DiscNW can use
donations to the General Fund to support any program. Donations that do not
indicate a fund name in the memo line are allocated to the General Fund. We
appreciate your consideration.

The Youth Development Fund* *(YDF) provides support for activities and
initiatives for youth from underserved populations. In 2011, thanks to the
support of generous donors, the YDF provided nearly $40,000 in youth
sponsorship, including free youth ultimate camps and clinics, grants to new
youth ultimate teams, training for new coaches, assistance to the Seattle
Public Schools' middle school ultimate league, and financial aid for teams
and individuals to participate in DiscNW youth events.  Read more about the
YDF at http://www.discnw.org/about/youthDevelopmentFund.html

The Long Term Fields Fund (LTFF) supports efforts to improve current
playfields and develop new playfields. For example, the LTFF helped pay for
ultimate lines at Magnuson Park and will help pay for ultimate lines at the
new Jefferson Park synthetic playfield. The LTFF can also provide for field
maintenance, equipment to maintain healthy fields, or new playfield
features to promote the sport of ultimate (e.g., signs explaining 10 simple
rules).

5. USA ULTIMATE COACHING CLINIC ON 2/5

The Level I Certification: Coaching Ethics and Performance workshop will be
taught by Meredith Tosta and will take place in Seattle on Sunday, February
5.

***Please note that DiscNW requires its Youth Club Championship coaches to
have Level I USA Ultimate coaching certification. This will be the last
time that the workshop is provided in Seattle before coaches are selected
in March.***

In the morning, this class will use the USA Ultimate Code of Ethics and
Spirit of Coaching documents as starting points to gain a deeper
understanding regarding issues of liability and insurance, fairness,
teaching self-officiating, and professionalizing the role of coaches in
Ultimate. The afternoon is dedicated to modeling quality instructional
methods for teaching basic skills and running a practice.  To read more
about the workshop, visit
http://www.usaultimate.org/resources/coaching/cdp/level_i_coach_certification.aspx

The class is $75, plus USA Ultimate membership (or $45 for just the morning
Ethics session). There is a rebate program for female coaches or males who
coach females. Read about the Women's Rebate program at
http://www.usaultimate.org/resources/development/women/coaching_workshop_rebate.aspx
.

To register for the February 5 workshop in Seattle, visit
http://members.usaultimate.org/coaches/clinics. Questions? Contact Local
Coordinator Jude LaRene at judelr at me.com.

6. FRYZ CLUB YOUTH TEAM TRYOUTS

The Fryz youth ultimate team will be holding a 2-day tryout at Magnuson
Park (turf field #7) on January 8th (11:00am - 3:00pm) and January 15th
(1:00pm - 4:00pm).  Players age 8th grade through high school are welcome.
If you are interested in trying out, download the waiver at
FryzUltimate.com. Please make sure all the contact information is legible
so that the team organizers can contact you after tryouts. A registration
fee of $3 will be requested at both check-in days. Bring light and dark
jerseys, snacks, and plenty of water. Please show up 30 minutes early to
register and warm up.

7. FIVE ULTIMATE IS HIRING

Five Ultimate is comprised of hard-working, inspired, and fun-loving
employees. We’re looking for someone to join our team here at headquarters
in Seattle as a Team Order Representative who will work in the Team
Department to create custom athletic gear. This person will work one-on-one
with customers to smoothly transform ultimate uniform dreams into reality.
Neat!  Interested in applying? Check out
http://fiveultimate.com/company/employment/ for more details.

8. USA ULTIMATE IS HIRING

USA Ultimate (USAU) has announced three job openings at its headquarters in
Boulder, CO and is seeking qualified applicants to support its current
programs and expand into new areas of leadership and service to the sport.
Applications are being accepted for the following positions: Manager of
Events, Manager of Membership and Sport Development, and Manager of College
Competition and Athlete Programs.  You can view the full job descriptions
at http://www.usaultimate.org/about/usaultimate/get_involved.aspx

These are full-time, salaried positions. Projected start dates are December
2011 or as soon as possible. The application deadline is December 5, 2011
or until filled. For the Event Manager and Competition & Athlete Programs
(College) position, contact Will at hq.usaultimate.org.  For the Membership
Development position contact Melanie at hq.usaultimate.org.

That's all for today.  As always, contact me at
youth.director at discnw.orgif you have questions or feedback about youth
Ultimate in the Northwest.

Happy New Year!
--
Wynne Scherf
DiscNW
Director of Youth Operations

Registration is now open for EIGHT spring youth leagues and tournaments at
www.discnw.org!