[Youth-announce] DiscNW July Youth Ultimate News

Wynne Scherf wynne.scherf at discnw.org
Wed Jul 4 21:44:35 PDT 2012

Hello, Youth Ultimate Enthusiasts!

I have 9(!) pieces of news for you today:

1. SUBWAY® Washington Games
2. DiscNW Wins Liberty Mutual Responsible Sports Grant
3. Seattle Youth Ultimate Camps - August 13-17
4. Level II USA Ultimate Coaching Clinic & Certification
5. DiscNW Youth Development FunDinner Auction
6. Summer Middle School Pick-Up Game
7. DiscNW YCC Teams and the YCC Scholarship Fund
8. Seattle Youth Players Make US Junior Worlds Teams
9. Puget Sound Ultimate Camp

1. SUBWAY® WASHINGTON GAMES

This month, DiscNW partners with the Evergreen State Amateur Athletic
Council (based out of the Seattle Sports Commission and Seattle Convention
& Visitors Bureau) to provide a disc event as part of the 30-sport SUBWAY®
Washington Games (http://www.washingtongames.org/site.php).

Saturday will include a grade 5-8 tournament and an adult men's
tournament.  Sunday will include a grade 9-12 tournament and an adult
women's tournament.  Participants may register as individuals or as a
team/pod. All participants receive a SUBWAY® Washington Games t-shirt and
are eligible to win medals in Ultimate and disc-throwing competitions.  To
register for the youth events, visit
http://www.discnw.org/events/WAGamesYouth.html  (Register for the adult
events at http://www.discnw.org/events/WAGamesAdult.html)

2. DISCNW WINS LIBERTY MUTUAL RESPONSIBLE SPORTS GRANT

Thanks to all of our supporters who took the Responsible Sports
parent/coach quizzes to help DiscNW win a $2500 grant from the Liberty
Mutual Responsible Sports program!  You can read the award announcement at
http://www.responsiblesports.com/community_grants/spring_2012_community_grant_winners/large-org-winners.aspx
The grant will go to our Youth Development Fund, which provides support for
activities and initiatives for youth from under-served populations.
Examples include free or inexpensive youth Ultimate events and clinics,
financial aid for DiscNW youth events, and introduction of Ultimate to new
youth groups.  You can learn more about our Youth Development Fund at
http://www.discnw.org/about/youthDevelopmentFund.html

3. SEATTLE YOUTH ULTIMATE CAMPS: AUGUST 13-17

There is one more day camp remaining this summer, for those kids who are
hankering for some summer play.  There are day camp sessions for ages 8-9,
10-11, 12-13, and high school at Magnuson Park on August 13-17.  Register
and learn more at http://www.discnw.org/events/SeattleUltimateCamps.html

4. LEVEL II USA ULTIMATE COACHING CLINIC & CERTIFICATION

The USA Ultimate Level II Certification: Advanced Strategies & Tactics
workshop will be taught by Matt Tsang and will take place on August 4-5 in
Burien, WA.  The Level II Coach Certification is 2 full days of instruction
that focuses on advanced coaching for Ultimate and is ideal for high
school, college, and club captains and coaches who are looking for new
tools to help take their leadership to the next level.  Learn more about
the course at
http://www.usaultimate.org/resources/coaching/cdp/level_ii_coach_certification.aspx

The class is $150, plus USA Ultimate membership. There is a $75 rebate
program for female coaches or males who coach females:
http://www.usaultimate.org/resources/development/women/coaching_workshop_rebate.aspx
.

Register for the workshop by July 23 at
http://members.usaultimate.org/coaches/clinics#277. Questions? Contact
Local Coordinator Paul Illian at illcon at msn.com.

5. DISCNW YOUTH DEVELOPMENT FUNDINNER AUCTION
Save the date for the second annual Youth Development FunDinner auction on
Saturday, November 17.

We are looking for community members with interest in event planning or
fundraising to participate on our auction planning committee.  No
experience is necessary.  Ideally, candidates would commit to a three-year
term: observation/small tasks in the first year, leadership role/big tasks
in the second year, and mentoring/guiding in the third year.  This is not a
requirement but is preferred.  Contact DiscNW Director of Youth Operations
Wynne Scherf for more information: wynne.scherf at discnw.org

6. SUMMER MIDDLE SCHOOL PICK-UP GAME

A parent has organized a regular grade 6-9 pick-up game for Wednesday
nights at Upper View Ridge Playfield.  For more information, see
http://www.discnw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3882  Please note that this
is not a DiscNW organized event.

7. DISCNW YCC TEAMS AND THE YCC SCHOLARSHIP FUND

DiscNW will send open, girls' and mixed U19 teams to the USA Ultimate Youth
Club Championships in Minnesota on August 11-12. You can view the team
members at http://www.discnw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4028
Congratulations to all of the youth players representing Seattle this
summer!

DiscNW aims to send the top youth players from the Seattle region,
regardless of economic need. As such, we provide significant financial aid
to support several players' attendance.  In 2012, we received financial aid
applications from 1/3 of the team members, for $18,400 total in requests.
Unfortunately, DiscNW was not able to fulfill all of these requests. If you
would like to help these young players to represent Seattle at the national
level, please consider a tax-deductible donation to our YCC Scholarship
Fund (YCCSF). Donations can be mailed to DiscNW, c/o YCCSF, PO Box 85112,
Seattle, WA 98145.  You can learn about our YCCSF at
http://www.discnw.org/youth/about/YCCScholarshipFund.html

8. SEATTLE YOUTH PLAYERS MAKE US JUNIOR WORLDS TEAMS

Congratulations to the following Seattle area U20 players, who will
represent the United States at the 2012 World Flying Disc Federation World
Junior Ultimate Championships in Dublin, Ireland this summer:

Girls' Team:
Claire Revere, Lakeside School; Jessie Thoreson, Nathan Hale; Kirstie
Barton, Seattle Academy; Margo Heffron, Nathan Hale; Nina Finley, Seattle
Academy; Sarah Edwards, Holy Names Academy, University of Washington;
Tiffany Phan, Franklin; Alternate: Sonja Haroldson, Bush School

Open Team:
Henry Phan, Opportunity Skyway; John Raynolds, Seattle Academy, Carleton
College; Justin Lim, Seattle Academy; Khalif El-Salaam, Northwest School;
Kilian Marsh, Northwest School, UCSD; Michael Sylvester, University Prep;
Natan Lee-Engel, Nathan Hale; Alternate: Jesse Bolton, Northwest School

9. PUGET SOUND ULTIMATE CAMP
University of Puget Sound ultimate alumni Christian Brink, Céad
Nardie-Warner and Kevin Chambers are organizing a high caliber and fun
3-day (overnight) ultimate skills camp this July 27-29th on the campus of
UPS.  This camp will be and excellent opportunity for high school students
in the Puget Sound area to learn from current UPS players and alumni who
play elite ultimate.

The cost is $150 for overnight campers and $80 for day campers.  Overnight
campers will revive 6 meals (2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 2 dinners) and two
nights lodging.  Day campers will receive 4 meals (2 lunches and 2 dinners).

For more information, visit the website at camp.upsultimate.com  Please
note this is not a DiscNW organized event.

Puget Sound happens to be my Alma mater.  "Once a Logger, always a Logger,"
they say.  I hope you had a safe and fun Independence Day and that you
threw some plastic between barbecues and fireworks.

Warm Regards,
--
Wynne Scherf
DiscNW Director of Youth Operations