[Youth-announce] October Youth Ultimate News

Wynne Scherf wynne.scherf at discnw.org
Tue Oct 2 16:30:45 PDT 2012

Hello, Youth Ultimate Enthusiasts!

I have 8 pieces of news for you today:

1. You're Invited!  DiscNW's "Fall Bid" Youth Ultimate Auction Dinner
2. Bear Ninja Cowgirl Hat Tournament
3. Fall Drizzle Middle School and High School Team Tournament
4. Charles Wright Academy (Tacoma) Seeking Middle School Games
5. Coaches Needed
6. Fall High School Girls' Pod/Hat League
7. August Person of the Month
8. Seattle Youth Bring Home Medals from World Championship

1. YOU'RE INVITED!  DISCNW'S "FALL BID" YOUTH ULTIMATE AUCTION DINNER

Registration is now open for Fall Bid, DiscNW's dinner auction to benefit
the Youth Development Fund.  To join us on November 17, visit the Fall Bid
webpage and register: http://www.discnw.org/events/FallBidAuction.html

The Youth Development Fund finances youth activities and initiatives
designed to promote the sport of Ultimate and support the participation of
underserved populations in the sport. Examples include free or inexpensive
youth Ultimate camps, financial aid for DiscNW youth events, grants for new
youth groups, disc donations, and more.

2. BEAR NINJA COWGIRL HAT TOURNAMENT

Girls in grades 7-12 are invited to join in for a FREE day of frisbee!
This hat tournament will kick off the third year of AGE UP (All Girl
Everything Ultimate Program), the 2012-2013 season, but you don't have to
be involved with AGE UP to attend. Info about the program will be provided
at the tournament, or you can visit http://www.allgirleverything.org/ to
learn more.

*WHEN:* FRIDAY October 12, 10 am - 5 pm (this is a day off school for
Seattle Public School students)
*WHERE:* Jefferson Community Center grass fields
*WHO:* Girls only, 7 - 12th grades, no ultimate frisbee experience necessary
 RSVP at the event Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/events/275823599201522/

3. FALL DRIZZLE MIDDLE SCHOOL AND HIGH SCHOOL TEAM TOURNAMENT

Fall Drizzle is organized by the Western Washington Women's Team, Chaos.
Here is a note from the tournament directors:

"Just wanted to send out an update and to let everyone know it is not to
late to sign up. Fall Drizzle will be held on Sunday, October 21st in
Burlington for both High School and Middle School (this is new!). We have 7
Middle School teams signed up and 5 High School teams signed up. Please
email falldrizzle.td at gmail.com to sign up or ask any questions."

4. CHARLES WRIGHT ACADEMY (TACOMA) SEEKING MIDDLE SCHOOL GAMES
*
*A note from Coach Hoppin at Charles Wright Academy in Tacoma: "Charles
Wright Academy has a 6th grade team that would love a few games after
school with any MS age group or skill level, November through April. We are
happy to host and are willing to drive up to Seattle for games right after
school. We can arrive at away games as early as 2:45 pm and can host as
early as 2pm any weekday. Contact: Christopher Hoppin, Charles Wright
Academy, 7723 Chambers Creek Rd W, Tacoma, WA 98467,(253)
620-8403,choppin at charleswright.org
"

5. COACHES NEEDED

The following schools are in need of fall and/or spring coaches.  Most are
paid positions, some are volunteer.

Aviation HS (Des Moines, WA): Contact <seacoachingcollective at gmail.com>
seacoachingcollective at gmail.com
Chief Sealth HS: Contact arporter at seattleschools.org
Eastside Prep: See http://www.discnw.org/youth/coaches.html#EPS
Salmon Bay: See http://www.discnw.org/youth/coaches.html#Jobs

6. FALL HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS' POD/HAT LEAGUE

Registration for the Fall High School Girls' Pod/Hat League has been
reopened.  Players may register and pay a prorated league fee to reflect
the number of weeks for which they are registered.  We are also accepting
drop-in players for $5/night (provided that players bring a DiscNW
waiver).  Games are Friday nights through October 26.  Learn more and
register at http://www.discnw.org/events/girlspod.html

7. AUGUST PERSON OF THE MONTH

Frank Nam, youth coach and organizer extraordinaire, was recognized as the
DiscNW August Person of the Month.  Read all about him at
http://www.discnw.org/community/PotM-Aug2012.html  The feature took a month
off in September but will resume later this month.

8. SEATTLE YOUTH BRING HOME MEDALS FROM WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

In our last issue, I reported that 15 Seattle area youth were representing
the USA at the World Flying Disc Federation's Junior Ultimate Championship
in Dublin, Ireland.  Well, those fantastic players and their teammates tore
it up!  The girls' and open teams both played championship games against
Colombia, with boys bringing home the gold and girls the silver.
Congratulations, Team USA!

That's it for today.  With the rainy months ahead, you'd better get in the
habit of drying your disc when you retrieve it from the ground.  The
Ultimate paradox: synthetic clothes make you dry, but cotton makes your
disc dry.  What to wear, what to wear?

--
Wynne Scherf
DiscNW Director of Youth Operations